Where’d My Food Come From? I Don’t Care…

In the book, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Michael Pollan is asked if he finds it odd that people put more work into choosing their mechanic or house contractor than they do when choosing who grows their food. The question, in a very straight-forward way, points out that Americans know very little about who grows their food. For me, I do not particularly care who grows my food as long as it is not poison and it tastes good. Thankfully, the USDA and FDA take care of my poison fears. I will say, however, I do get a little fuzzy feeling when I am eating food that I know was grown on a local farm. I feel this way because in all reality, it is not very realistic to expect to know who grew all of your food unless you live on a self-sustaining farm, while also refusing to ever go out to eat. With more and more people moving into the city and away from life on the farm, fewer and fewer people can find an easy way to find the man or woman growing their food. Mostly because much of our food is produced in California on massive, industrial farms (Pollan, 2007). The reason people put more work into choosing their mechanic or house contractor is because it is much more realistic geographically. If you drive down a single main road in a medium to large city, you will see multiple places to get your car fixed or to get a bid on a house repair. However, you will not see a single food- producing farm until you make it out past the suburbs, and probably into another city altogether. Because of the world we live in, it is not surprising that we do not know who grows our food, however it is very surprising that it is so hard to know for the for people who really do care. It is easier to meet the man who puts things inside your vehicle, leading to vehicular health than it is to meet the man who makes the things you put inside your body, leading to bodily health. Maybe we just do not care about our bodily health as much as we should. Maybe we have a massive obesity problem. We need to get people to start caring about their food again. I need to start caring where my food comes from.

Work Cited

Pollan, Michael. (2007). The Omnivore’s Dilemma.